The Royal Forest of Dean homepage
 
LOCAL INFO HISTORY VISITORS CONTACT US FWEB SERVICES
Powered by Atomz.com
 

Lydney

Lydney, which has existed since Roman times, covers approximately eight square miles of Gloucestershire between the Forest of Dean and the River Severn.  The town itself stands on the Gloucester to Chepstow main A48 road and extends south-east down to Lydney Harbour, crossing the Gloucester to Cardiff railway line.  This area contains the town's industrial estate. On the north, the parish extends to include Primrose Hill and Allaston, and a portion of the Forest of Dean.  To the west is Lydney Park, an estate with Roman ruins and beautiful gardens, and the village of Aylburton, which although a separate parish, has always been closely associated with Lydney.

Lydney was the home of Sir William Wintour, Admiral of the Fleet of Queen Elizabeth I in 1588, and it was here at Lydney that may of the ships to oppose the Spanish Armada were built from the Forest of Dean's oak trees.

Lydney is is busy industrial centre, with a wide range of business activities, made possible by its easy access to several radiating motorways and the Severn Bridge.  Lydney Town Council are active in the provision and maintenance of the extensive Bathurst Park and Primrose Hill Recreation Grounds.

The town has a large variety of shops, the majority in the Newerne Street area, and has increased considerably residentially during the last few years. There is ample room for new industries; especially with the advent of the new by-pass, opened in 1995, and an energetic and pioneering climate, (shown especially in the proliferation of small businesses), to nurture new ventures.

Lydney is very much alive and well - a bright centre to live and work in, with the bonus of being set in some of the most attractive and exhilarating countryside in Gloucestershire.

Tourist Information

Lydney is an excellent centre from which to tour the Forest of Dean Dean Forest RailwayLydney Park GardensTaurus Crafts Other tourist attractions in the Forest of Dean

Accommodation

Parkend House Hotel, Parkend. The Fountain Inn, Parkend. 01594-562189 Bridge Cottage, Aylburton (bed & breakfast) Cider Press Cottage, Oldcroft - self cateringHighbury Coach House - self catering

Dining Out

Wong's Chinese (Cantonese and Peking cuisine) 01594-844555

Nearest Bank

Lloyds BankNational Westminster Bank

Shops

The town has a large variety of shops, the majority in the Newerne Street area. These include excellent supermarkets. Post Offices:Kings BuildingsMount PleasantPrimrose Hill Lydney BookshopNewerne Street, Lydney,Gloucestershire. GL15 5RF. England.Books a

Local Schools

Lydney is fortunate to have four schools within its bounds Whitecross School (comprehensive secondary school)Lydney C. of E. Primary SchoolPrimrose Hill County Primary SchoolSevernbanks Primary School

Council

Town Hall Chambers, Lydney, Glos. GL15 5DYTelephone: 01594-842234further details

Churches

The Parish Church of St. Mary
The large tower and steepling spire of St Marys church are visible for a good distance from the town of Lydney. This large church is mostly Early English, with the tower, aisled nave and chancel dating from the 13th century. The east window and that in the south aisle contain Early English stained glass, whilst in contrast, in the north aisle is a modern window showing the Franz Joseph glacier in New Zealand. This was given in 1941 by Lord Bledisloe to commemorate his tour of duty as Governor of New Zealand.

The Church is mentioned in 13th century documents and was built in the Early English style, as was Lydney's Preaching Cross. Its monuments and inscriptions show the influence of the Bathurst family on the town from the 18th century to the present day.  A full history and description of the church has been written by R A J Bell.

Holy Trinity
The daughter church of St Mary's is at Primrose Hill, erected in 1933.

St. Joseph
In even more recent times, the Catholic Church of St. Joseph has been built at the foot of Highfield Hill.

There are also Methodist, Baptist and United Reform Churches in the town.

Old Church Records for family historians.

 

  LOCAL INFORMATION
  Towns & Villages
  Business Directory
  Education
  Leisure
  Location/Map
Email Forest Web
Copyright ©2001 Forest Web