The Royal Forest of Dean homepage
 
LOCAL INFO HISTORY VISITORS CONTACT US FWEB SERVICES
Powered by Atomz.com
 

Dymock

Dymock is delightfully surrounded by rolling hills and agricultural landscape much loved by the Dymock poets who lived in the area before the Great War. Lascelles Abercrombie was the first to arrive, living in a timber framed thatched cottage below Ryton Woods; Wilfred Wilson Gibson was to follow and set up home at Greenway Cross. Between them, they organised a quarterly poetry magazine entitled "New Numbers". It was published from Ryton and included poems written by their friends Rupert Brook and John Drinkwater. They were joined by Robert Frost and Edward Thomas in the summer of 1914, the last summer they were all to be together. Their homes still stand, altered slightly by the passage of time and are now in private ownership.

In the village of Dymock there are several interesting buildings which include cruck beam cottages; "The White House", which was the birthplace of John Kyrle-Man of Ross in 1637, Ann Cam School of 1825 and St. Mary's Church, a patch work history in brick and stone with anglo-norman origins. Nearby stands the only remaining village pub, purchased for the community by the Parish Council, which is now run on their behalf by a management company.

Dymock is renowned for its wild daffodils in the spring.

Tourist Information

Newent and the Vale of Leadon
The Dymock Poets
Dymock Poets Paths
A walk in Dymock Woods
The Daffodil Way

Accommodation

Course Lawn House Hotel, Corse LawnOld Court Hotel, NewentThe George Hotel, Newent Accommodation Index

Nearest Bank

The nearest banks are at Newent

Shops

The village has several small family run shops and a post office.

Local Schools

Ann Cam School The local secondary school is Newent Community School

Churches

The church at Dymock dominates the village centre as it lies back from the road behing the chestnut trees and massive old yew.

It is basically Norman, with a richly sculptured Norman doorway which represents the work of the Dymock school of sculpture. A Tympanum depicts the tree of life which is thought to be the same mason's work as at Kempley. Inside, there is a great sense of size, and interesting features include a 13th century stone coffin lid, a 17th century turned oak font and some good modern glass by Kempe. The corner of the church however, is dedicated to the famous Dymock poets where there is an interesting display.

 

  LOCAL INFORMATION
  Towns & Villages
  Business Directory
  Education
  Leisure
  Location/Map
Email Forest Web
Copyright ©2001 Forest Web