Coleford Then & Now
Page 3 - The Market Place


The Market Place

The Market Place, looking towards the King's Head. A colour tinted photograph taken in the early 1900's.

Comparing this 1999 photograph with the one at the left, it can be seen that the last building in the row has since been demolished.

A 1960s view of the Market Place from the corner of St. John's Street, looking up the High Street. Most of the buildings are original from the 1700s and 1800s. It is interesting to compare this photograph with the one at the right.


Apart from the demolition of the church in 1882, the more modern signs above the shops, and the cars parked, this scene is very much how Coleford would have appeared in the early 1800s.

The Coleford Town Cross, standing in the Market Place beside the Market Hall. The cross was built on exactly the same spot where the altar of the original St. John's Church stood.

View looking towards Gloucester Road.


Above: A similar view in 1999. The Market Hall is no longer there, but the other buildings are easily recognisable.

 Page 4 - The Market Place to Newland Street

Page design by Forest Web