St. Mary Magdalene Church
Welcome to our Church's web page
Our church at Hewelsfield is located in Gloucestershire, England,
South West of the Forest of Dean and the town of Coleford.
It is just two miles from the beautiful Lower Wye Valley, a natural border between England and Wales.
The circular churchyard with highways all round, contains many interesting tombstones dating from 1680. The yew tree on the South side is approximately 1300 years old.
The first thing that you notice about this church is its long stone roof extending from the ridge of a Norman Nave, believed to be on Saxon foundations over a narrow 12th century aisle, to within a few feet of the ground on the North side. In the North aisle are three small lancet windows, one of which is 13th century and cut through a single stone. The font is also 13th century. The tower, on its original corbel table, contains a peal of six bells which are rung from the Chancel and includes the oldest ringable bell in the Forest of Dean, cast about 1450. Off the entrance porch is a small room believed to have been a priest's or hermit's room. Outside in the south wall can be seen a sealed priest's door and a roughly cut sun-dial in the sill of a window.
We welcome visitors, who are invited to share in the peace and tranquility of our unspoiled rural location or take part in our weekly Church of England service which is at 11am on Sundays.
To contact us
Priest in Charge: Rev. David Lawrence, telephone 01594 530345
Babs Bergdahl, tel. 01594 530623
David Young, tel. 01594 529640
EMail: [email protected]
[ Family History - Hewelsfield Church Registers ]
[ Hewelsfield Village ] [ Other Towns & Villages in the Forest of Dean ]
Web page design by Forest Web
Copyright ©1998 Forest Web