The Royal Forest of Dean homepage
 
LOCAL INFO HISTORY VISITORS CONTACT US FWEB SERVICES
Powered by Atomz.com
 

TRELLECK

A small village high on the Western side of the Wye, the name means town of stones a reference to the three monoliths standing near the edge of the village. Tradition states that they were erected by Harold to commemorate a victory over the Britons, but they are probably a relic of Druidism. A tumulus behind Court Farm is of Roman origin and was circled by a moat. Close by is the Virtuous Well a celebrated spring and the church of St Nicholas built in the Early English style. Sensitively restored in 1894 it retains many older features. Near the church is an ancient stone cross on five steps and an interesting sundial erected in 1689.

 

Tourist Information

Accommodation

Dining Out

Nearest Bank

Shops

Local Schools

Local Businesses

Council

Local Library

Churches

 

  LOCAL INFORMATION
  Towns & Villages
  Business Directory
  Education
  Leisure
  Location/Map
Email Forest Web
Copyright ©2001 Forest Web