The Royal Forest of Dean homepage
Powered by


Longhope was already inhabited by the 11th century and the Manor of Hope is mentioned in the Domesday Book. The name itself means long, enclosed valley. Travelling from the Forest, one of the first houses reached is Harts Barn, which was built by the descendants of John the Sergeant, who was granted lands at Hope by William the Conqueror on condition that he provided hounds when the King came to hunt hart in the Dean Forest. Other houses of historical interest include Royal Spring, where Charles I is said to have stopped for refreshment in 1642 after the battle of Powick Bridge near Worcester.

At one end of the village, you will see All Saints Church which dates back to the 12th century, though it was heavily restored in the Victorian era. The arms of William III can be seen over the door and beneath the chancel lies members of the Probyn family who for many years were the lords of the Manor.

Opposite the church, Court Leet was once the local court and the adjacent timbered cottage was the gaol.

In the centre of the village, the recreation ground was bought by public subscription in memory of those killed in the World War and on the first Saturday in July, all activity in the village and surrounding area is centred on the Fete. Food can also be enjoyed at one of the local hostelries.

For more information on Longhope visit

Photographs of the Village beatutiful cottages, the church, and the war memorial.


Tourist Information

Harts Barn Flower &Craft; Centre



Nearest Bank

The nearest banks are in Mitcheldean


The nearest main shopping area is in Mitcheldean. There are some small local family owned shops and a post office in the village.

Local Schools

Longhope C. of E. Primary School tel: 01452 830558
Hopes Hill Primary School Longhope Glos. GL17 0PG Tel: 01452 830178

Local Library

The nearest library is at Bellevue Road, Cinderford Forest of Dean Towns and VillagesCopyright ©1996 Forest WebWeb Page Design by Forest WebLast updated 8 September1999Forest Web Home Page


All Saints, Longhope

Despite fairly heavy restoration in the 1860's when the North vestries were added, the church has considerable medieval interest. The lower parts of the four stage west tower are late Norman, as well as the remains of one window. There is an effigy of a priest which is dated to c1300. The porch and several windows are early 14th century. There are also Royal Arms of William the Third.

Photographs of the Church and of the 1914-18 War Memorial

Old Church Records for family historians


  Towns & Villages
  Business Directory
Email Forest Web
Copyright ©2001 Forest Web