parish church of St. Michael is mentioned in documents
of 1075 as being amongst the posessions of the Benedictine
Priory in Monmouth Castle. There is also record of it
belonging to Monmouth Priory in a list of churches confirmed
by the Bishop of Hereford in 1144, although it is not
known whether the present church is on the same site,
although this is likely.
In a leaflet describing the Church, Sheila Dewdney
The Church building has, quite naturally, been added
to and altered over the centuries. The oldest part ifsthe
north wall of the nave, which is also the thickest,
this has been dated to the twelfth century. The font
and the north door in the chancel are probably from
the same period although both have been altered and
repaired. Unusually, the nave is wider than the chancel,
the extra width is on the south side and there could
have quite probably been a south aisle at some stage.
The east window with three pointed lights in a two centred
head is typical of a thriteenth century design. In the
south wall of the chancel are a piscina with a drain
and a credence - a stone shelf for the elements before
they have been consecrated.
All the stained glass was put in during various restorations
in the nineteenth century. The west wall was rebuilt
during the same period when the original small wooden
tower was removed and replaced by the present bellcote.
The gallery at the back of the church was also removed.
The south porch was added in the seventeenth century.
Old church parish registers are stored at the Herefordshire
County Record Office in Hereford.