The Royal Forest of Dean homepage
 
LOCAL INFO HISTORY VISITORS CONTACT US FWEB SERVICES
Powered by Atomz.com
 

CANNOP

Famous for its two large ponds and Forestry Commission picnic site, there was no historical settlement at Cannop, but the entire area was a centre of much industrial activity in the 18th and 19th centuries. The ponds are not natural, being created in 1826 on naturally marshy ground to form reservoirs to supply Parkend Ironworks, over a mile downstream. The flow of water was regulated by a weirs (which still exist at the southern ends of the ponds) and the water was channelled to Parkend in stone lined waterways known as 'leats'. Between the ponds are Cannop Stonework's which began wok in 1902 to produce high quality building stone from the numerous quarries in the area.

Tourist Information

 

Accommodation

 

Dining Out

 

Nearest Bank

 

Shops

 

Local Schools

 

Local Businesses

 

Council

 

Local Library

 

Churches

 

 

 

  LOCAL INFORMATION
  Towns & Villages
  Business Directory
  Education
  Leisure
  Location/Map
Email Forest Web
Copyright ©2001 Forest Web