Gallery 54 - Ross on..
Contemporary abstract art, ceramics and glassware
Cleeve Orchard Cider..
Artisan maker of Little Owl cider from the last orchard in Ross on Wye
CinderfordCinderford is a small town with a population of approximately 7500, situated on the eastern edge of the actual Forest. The original settlement in the area was a small collection of houses, built just before 1800, along the edge of the forest boundary. These buildings, known as "encroachment" cottages, were built just inside the forest, at a time when it was illegal to build houses on the land of the Royal Forest. About 1800, when the area began to flourish as a coal mining area, and the town developed in size.
In the 1700's Cinderford was no more than a tiny hamlet comprising a few houses around the area adjacent to what is now the Bridge Inn on the Speech House Road. The name Cinderford being derived from the ford over the little river. Two hundred yards up the hill was the hamlet of St. Whites, and next to it, another hamlet at Stockwell Green. Some of the older houses still remain in these areas. By the early 1800's the village began to develop, and the parish church of St. John was consecrated in 1844, situated close to St. White's Road. The town grew considerably in the following years as more coal mines were opened, and there was an influx of people to work in the mines. The centre of the town gradually shifted to its present position around The Triangle, away from the original village around St. John's church, and the town was linked to the outside world by new railway links via both the Severn & Wye Railway Company and the Great Western Railway.
As the coal mines finally closed in the 1960's the area suffered a depression, and its railway links were severed, but the town is now growing rapidly again, and many new businesses are moving in, (including multi-national companies) especially to the developing Forest Vale Industrial Estate.
Cinderford is virtually surrounded by the woodlands of the Forest, which can be reached within a few minutes walking distance of anywhere in the town. The valley area to the west of the town (Linear Park) has been re-landscaped with lakes and a footpath walk.
The town centre is compact, based around The Triangle, with good parking facilities, and all the local shops and service businesses within a close area.
Cinderford has thriving football and rugby teams, each with its own stadium.
Cinderford is an ideal place to stay when visiting the Forest of Dean, with several small hotels and guest houses. A car or bicycle is really needed to enjoy the benefits of the local forest tourist attractions, as they are spread over a wide area.
Local places of interest include:
ShopsCinderford has a wide range of shops, mainly small businesses, but also including:
Westgate Stores (clothing, furniture, electrical etc.)
County Stores (food supermarket)
Lidl (food supermarket)
The shops are situated in or around The Triangle, which is the town's centre.
SchoolsSt. Whites Primary School (primary school)
Latimer School (primary school)
Steam Mills School (primary school)
Bilson Infants School
Oakdean Special School - for children with severe learning difficulties
Dean Hall School Deprecated: mysql_escape_string(): This function is deprecated; use mysql_real_escape_string() instead. in /var/www/vhosts/fweb.org.uk/httpdocs/classes_system/generaldata.class.inc on line 613 Deprecated: mysql_escape_string(): This function is deprecated; use mysql_real_escape_string() instead. in /var/www/vhosts/fweb.org.uk/httpdocs/classes_system/generaldata.class.inc on line 613