Cleeve Orchard Cider..
Artisan maker of Little Owl cider from the last orchard in Ross on Wye
Gallery 54 - Ross on..
Contemporary abstract art, ceramics and glassware
Life Changing Activi..
Fun, adventure, and personal growth in the Great Outdoors
The George Inn in the Forest of DeanThe George is an unspoilt family-run 16th Century free house overlooking St Briavels Castle, once used as a hunting lodge by King John.
The pub is situated in a quiet, pretty village on the fringe of the Wye Valley and Royal Forest of Dean, between the ancient market towns of Chepstow and Monmouth.
Good food is served here, accompanied by fine ales, light snacks and sunday lunches are also available.
One room contains an 8th Century Celtic coffin lid.
Comfortable en-suite accommodation with choice of breakfasts.
Contact InfoVisit Website | Email
Phone: 01594 530228
Fax: 01594 530260
The George Inn
St. Mary the Virgin church stands 650 feet above the River Wye giving panoramic views over the valley, and can be seen from Bigsweir, as well as parts of the hillside on the other side of the valley, in Wales. It is probable that there has been a place of worhip on this site since the 5th century, but it was the Normans who built the first stone church here, using local Forest stone, in about 1086.
In the Lady Chapel there is an Easter Tomb with a decorated slab of Forest stone, which was made for the tomb of Robert Abbot of Lire in France, who died in St. Briavels in 1272. The recumbent figures at the west end of the south aisle are of William Warren and his family and are from a large tomb which had stood in the north wall of the chancel until 1860. The choir stalls were made in 1950 in oak by local craftsmen and here you will find the Priest's Stall with the arms of the Dean and the Chapter of Hereford and you will also see the Hunters Horn, which is the badge of the Constable of the Forest. The Norman font has a stone frill which is thought to be unique.