Cleeve Orchard Cider..
Artisan maker of Little Owl cider from the last orchard in Ross on Wye
Gallery 54 - Ross on..
Contemporary abstract art, ceramics and glassware
Forest Gate Camping in the Forest of Dean

Forest Gate is a small, quiet and secluded site, set in 3 1/2 acres of the grounds of a former Victorian Rectory, at the gateway to the Royal Forest of Dean.

Our reputation for excellence is built on the friendliness of service, the cleanliness of the facilities and the pleasant aspect of the grounds and the surrounding area.

Contact Info
Visit Website | Email
Phone: 01452 831192
Dick and Maureen Blakemore
Forest Gate (Camping)
Huntley
Gloucestershire

GL19 3EU

Near: Huntley
This small, thriving village on the edge of the Forest situated on the A40 road from Gloucester to Ross-on-Wye was here, with its own church, at ..

Nearby Churches

St. John the Baptist

It is thought that the original church at Huntley was built about 1100 AD. It was certainly here in 1075 when it was listed amongst the posessions of the Benedictine Priory in Monmouth Castle. There is also record of it belonging to Monmouth Priory in a list of churches confirmed by the Bishop of Hereford in 1144. The stonework of the tower is dated to have been built around 1100.

The church was virtually totally reconstructed in 1862 during the Victorian era of church building, and with the exception of the tower, is new work by the architect S. S. TEULON. In the main, he used local red sandstone, with quoins and dressings of a contrasting local limestone. A new spire was added to the old tower.

The church bells include some which are very old, and which are still in use. The oldest is dated 1420, and bears the inscription "W. F., I. T., R. B. Bayli of Huntley, 1420". These refer to the churchwardens and the Earl of Shrewsbury's bailiff, as Huntley was at that time part of the Earl's estate. This bell has been ringing here for almost 600 years! The fourth bell bears an inscription in Latin, translated as "God save noble King James 1616".  The tenor bell is dated 1670 and on it is marked the names of the "Churche Wardens" Joseph WHYE and Thomas DRAPER.

Deprecated: mysql_escape_string(): This function is deprecated; use mysql_real_escape_string() instead. in /var/www/vhosts/fweb.org.uk/httpdocs/classes_system/generaldata.class.inc on line 613